Types of Mold
Residential Mold Remediation Services in Los Angeles & Beyond
Mold is a fungus that grows in tiny filaments. Molds are part of a large and diverse family of living microbes that are generally invisible until they breed into colonies. These colonies have a discolored, fuzzy, or dusty appearance. Each colony can be considered a single organism.
LimeGreen Water Damage & Restoration Eliminates Mold Infestation
Mold feeds on organic matter and reproduces by giving off spores. These spores can be airborne and become a component of household dust. In the home, mold usually forms on surfaces where there is high moisture. We’ve found that it can thrive anywhere, including non-visible areas such as inside cabinets, attics, basements, ductwork, carpets, and wall spaces.
Mold can cause extensive property damage. A thriving mold colony poses health risks because they produce toxic compounds that can be inhaled or ingested. The toxins from some molds can cause respiratory problems, neurological damage, and even death. Many people can be highly allergic. Our mold remediation experts at LimeGreen Water Damage & Restoration can help you recognize the mold you may have seen so you can alert our professionals. We are here to help you eliminate the mold from your home!
Mold is very dangerous, so if you have spotted a mold colony in your home, call us at (833) 933-1445. We can safely remove the mold from your home quickly and efficiently.
Types of Mold
While there are thousands of mold species around the world, below we identify a few common types that pose a danger to homeowners.
These are three of the most common molds that form in homes:
- Aspergillus – This is a widespread mold found inside homes. It can cause respiratory infections, pneumonia, and allergic reactions. It is often found inside AC systems, so it’s spread throughout the home, and it can infest exposed food. Aspergillus can grow inside mattresses and pillows when there is excessive humidity. Colonies are usually a blackish-yellow color.
- Cladosporium – It infests porous surfaces like wood or fabrics, but it can also thrive on very smooth surfaces like toilets, bath fixtures, fiberglass ventilation components, and painted drywall. This mold is usually black or green with pepper-like particles. It is considered a non-toxic mold species, but prolonged exposure to it can still produce allergic reactions like breathing difficulties, eye irritation, and sore throat.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum – This mold is very dangerous. It is commonly known as black mold. Its colonies have a very dark, shiny appearance. It also gives off a distinct, musty odor. It is a known source of dangerous mycotoxins. This mold is usually found in places that are constantly damp like walls and floors where pipes may be dripping, or from AC components that are sweating.
Other common types of mold:
- Aureobasidium – This is usually found outdoors, but it can spread to the interior of homes. Colonies are typically pinkish and black in color, and it’s often found around window frames and caulking. It also grows on wood, wallpaper, and painted surfaces. This is non-toxic mold, but it still produces an allergic reaction in most people.
- Penicillium – This is sometimes found alongside aspergillum, and this mold is green or blue-colored. It is non-toxic, but it is also a respiratory irritant that leads to infections. It can spread very quickly.
- Serpula Lacrymans – This is a yellow-colored mold that is non-toxic to humans, and it grows and feeds on damp wood. It is very damaging to homes because it causes dry rot and structural issues.
- Ulocladium – This is a fast-growing mold that requires lots of water, so it frequently appears because of flood damage. It can be brown, green, or grayish black in appearance, and it has a suede-like texture. It can cause respiratory, skin, and eye infections. It also causes irreversible damage to wood, drywall, and porous materials.
Our trained and licensed technicians will work to identify the particular type of mold that’s infesting your home, determine the cause, and recommend the best course for remediation. We will also create a restoration strategy to eliminate the damage and safety risks that mold causes. Often, this depends on the surrounding conditions and the severity of the infestation. For homes that have experienced water damage or begin to emit musty odors, the safest course of action is to call in one of our professionals for an inspection of the home.
Call us at (833) 933-1445 to schedule a professional inspection to locate and identify the mold in your home. We will help you eliminate the mold and create a reconstruction strategy.
Free Estimates & Insurance Assistance
We guide you through tedious process of dealing with insurance platforms so you can be compensated for your loss.
Family Owned & Operated Business
When you call LimeGreen, you are also calling a friend that will guide you like we would family and friends.
24/7 Disaster Response Within 15 Minutes
We are on our way in 15 minutes or less, so we can get to you quickly across Los Angeles.